Monday, April 23, 2012

Thy thumb isn't green.

After filling out a lot of job applications this morning, I helped my Gma in her garden. Good Lord, help us. *Disclaimer: I do not have ANY gardening experience. ANY. That means ZEROOOOO.)

Can't figure if this was going to be a good experience or a bad one. One person knows today is the day to start planting vegetables that grow ABOVE ground (as opposed to the ones that grow below ground like beets and squash (those were planted the first of April)) and the other person knows Kim Kardashian and Kanye West's relationship is totally a publicity stunt. "What would you like for me to do??" I asked. "Well, (long pause)....how about sprinkling these green beans in these two rows?" Oh surely I can do that!! I did that beautifully. One bean, two bean, three bean, oh crap I just spilled them all! I honestly felt like I was standing in an operating room with a big ? on top of my head.
  Okay, beans are perfectly placed into their graves, I mean soil beds, so now onto the next project. As I walk up to my Gma to get my next assignment she hands me a dirty quarter she just found in the yard. "Never work for anybody for free." she says to me. "Now I paid you so how about picking up these weeds I've pulled?" Giggle...You got it! This has got to be a little easier, right? She had raked these weeds and dead sticks up into piles as I buried the seeds. I am picking up these piles of leaves, weeds, and sticks and I kid you not, a damn spider crawled up my hand and I let out an "Eeek!" "What's wrong?!!" my Gma asked. "A spider just crawled up my hand!" I said with a labored breath. "Oh good God." is what Green Thumb said as she just walked off. 'WHERE are those gloves they make for this kind of service I'm doing?' I think. I WILL tell you, I continued to pick up 5 different piles of potential spider beds before the morning was over. Shaking a bit, yes, but HEY I did it! I'm not a person who has a green thumb on their torso. But...learning that annual plants last one year and perennial plants last a few years...from my Gma...is worth the dirt under my manicured nails and I wouldn't trade it for the world. Dirt washes off...memories last forever. :-)






2 comments:

  1. Love it! I am a wanna-be green thumber :-) So, your G-Ma planted green beans and what else? because I am going to plant whatever she planted. I am starting some raised garden beds.

    P.S. You can get some cheap garden gloves at the Dollar Store

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!
    She has beets, squash, green beans, cucumbers, tomatoes, eggplant, and mustard planted in her garden...oh and her many flowers through out the yard. Good luck with your raised beds! Several members of my family have raised beds and love them.

    ReplyDelete